Sunday 1 February 2015

My 250th Post - Sweet Potato Tikki/Cutlet (Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Cutlet)

Sweet Potato Tikki/Cutlet (Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Cutlet)

I had some Sweet Potatoes in my Kitchen, so I was thinking of a recipe to use this vegetable. I did not want to make the usual curry or Fry with this. That's when my hubby told, in North India during the fasting time they make this and eat. So that minute I decided that I will make the Tikki. I made all preparations, shaped it and kept it in Fridge and used it only after 24 Hours. However, it is completely up to you. You can prepare it Fresh or make it well ahead, shape it and store them in fridge.

Please read the Notes for more information and Variations.



Ingredients

Sweet Potato - 4 or 5
Garam masala - 1/2 Teaspoon (read Notes)
Red Chilly Powder - 1 Teaspoon (read Notes)
Dry Mango powder or Amchur Powder - 1/4 Teaspoon (read Notes)
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 Teaspoon (read Notes)
Chat Masala - A generous Pinch (read Notes)
Black Salt - To Taste (read Notes)
Oil - 1 Teaspoon + For tava Frying

Method
  • Wash the sweet potatoes and cook them in pressure cooker with enough water for 3-4 whistles.
  • Allow the Pressure cooker to come down to room temperature on its own.
  • Then remove the skin and mashed the sweet potatoes well. I used a grater and grated them to ensure that they were homogeneously mashed.
  • To this add all ingredients except Oil and mix well.
  • For me the moisture and texture everything was fine, so I did not add any other Flour. However, if you are unable to get the mixture together than you can add 1-2 Tablespoon of Besan/Kuttu/Madia/Cornflour depending on the availability and taste.
  • Once the mixture is kneaded well, coat it with a spoon of oil and rest it for 10 minutes.
  • This is completely optional, however I have found if you rest it for 10-15 minutes, the flavour gets enhanced.
  • Cover the Mixture to avoid it from getting dry.
  • After 10 minutes, shape into Tikki or any desired shape.
  • Heat a Tawa with 1 Tablespoon of oil and arrange the shaped tikki on Medium flame and cook they are done on both Sides.
Notes
  • You can prepare, shape and store in fridge for later use. So it is a good Make Ahead Snack.
  • If you cook the sweet potato with little amount of water, then you may not need any flour to be added.
  • You can add any Flour based on your taste and diet style.
  • When it comes to Masala Powder, add or Omit any dried masala Powder based on your taste and Availability. I have added the Dry masala based on what was available to me in my Kitchen.
  • You can add Regular Salt, I added it as I have Black Salt at my home.
  • I have added a little more Red Chilly powder than usual as my sweet potato was too sweet, so adjust it to your Taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment